Tax Specialist (12 month FTC)
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Working closely with the senior APAC Tax Specialist in Sydney to manage Canva’s Australian tax compliance obligations and improve big company tax reporting processes. This will create efficiencies within the tax team which will allow Canva to begin to operate as a Big Company around the world.
It is an opportunity to help carve the path for Canva as the business grows together with the evolving tax landscape. This role provides the opportunity to build the foundation for the tax work stream such as identifying process gaps, developing and streamlining processes as well as assessing the compliance requirements and the impact on Canva.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Drive and deliver all the Australian compliance tasks and helping resolve complex tax affairs within a timely manner
- Drive and deliver the month-end / year-end tax effect accounting for Canva's Asia Pacific entities
- Identifying opportunities for process improvements and / or developing strategies to establish new processes to manage the Australian tax affairs, including driving the implementation of technology and facilitating in setting up internal controls and prepare process documentation to enable audit readiness
- Facilitate with tax audits and disputes for the entities within the APAC region as necessarily required
- Diving into complex tax technical matters and finding solutions for critical business needs, including drafting technical advice and other tasks to the Tax team as and when required
You're probably a match if:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant field
- CA/CPA qualified or equivalent qualification
- In-depth knowledge and experience in tax effect accounting
- You have excellent writing skills and business insight with problem-solving creativity and commercial judgement
- Highly organised with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- Exceptional communication and collaborator management skills
- Self motivated with a desire to learn
- Experience working in a fast growing, ever-changing environment
As this is a 12 month FTC initially, we are unable to offer equity at this time.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.